Supports translation of early discoveries towards clinical applicability through research funding, expert consultation, identification of resources and building partnerships.
- Catalyst Awards link investigators to the industry expertise around us to turn discoveries into improvements in health.June H. Lee, MD, FACCP; Director
- To increase and enhance early translational research education at UCSF
- To foster academic and industry collaborations and partnerships
RESOURCES & SERVICES
An intramural funding mechanism focused on development of therapeutics, diagnostics, devices and digital health products. The award includes:
- Up to $100,000* toward critical experiments that increase the commercial and clinical viability of promising innovations;
*Up to $250K for therapeutic areas of interest to MedImmune
*Up to $60K in digital health
- Access to a network of 200+ biomedical industry experts
- Consultation and mentoring by industry experts on issues related to product development, intellectual property, funding/partnership strategy and commercialization.
A multi-campus funding mechanism for technology development in disease areas of interest to NHLBI and NIDA. Awards up to $200,000 over 2 years.
Additional funding opportunities with translational focus from industry and foundations.
Opportunity for students and postdoctoral fellows to learn about translational research and product development through observing and participating in the process of the Catalyst Awards Program.
An online resource designed to highlight the key factors of a successful translational research program through the experiences of UCSF's researchers and partners.
Collaborating with Industry
This program establishes relationships and facilitates access to pre-selected Contract Resesarch Organizations (CROs) for investigators looking to tap into CRO capabilities and expertise in drug and device development.
Catalyst program believes that partnerships with industry are essential to successful translation of research into clinically valuable products and are open to exploring innovative collaboration models. We have ongoing partnerships with Quest Diagnostics, MedImmune LLC, Surpass, Inc, and Sheppard Mullin.
SEMINARS & EVENTS
- HBA Dine Around with June Lee, MD: Translating Discovery to Products in Academia, July 30, 2015 - 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Catalyzing the Next Generation of Healthcare Technologies and New Medicines, August 5, 2015 - 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- Sean Bohen Catalyst Report Out Keynote, June 3, 2015
- Commercializing Diagnostics in the Era of Precision Medicine-Panel discussion, May 8, 2015
- Translational Research Funding Opportunities, in NINDS focus Areas with Rajesh Ranganathan, Feb 24, 2015
- Translational Research: The Value of Studying Outliers, Lessons from Scorpions, Rats, Patients & Healthy People, by Hal Barron, Jan 30, 2015
- Drug Repurposing: Opportunities and Challenges-Panel discussion, Sept 16, 2014
- Digital Health Innovation: Project to Product-Panel Discussion, May 14, 2014
Sign me up for future Catalyst Newsletters & seminar announcements
In the Press
- UCSF Innovation Partners Collaborate to Accelerate Promising Research, June 29, 2015
- University of California Medical Campuses Lay Framework for Drug Discovery Alliance, April 24, 2015
- Industry and Academia Partner to Reach Patients through Popular Catalyst Award, Feb 17, 2015
- Choosing Niche Might be Key to Success for Health Care Accelerators, Dec 12, 2014
- Drug Repurposing Seminar Elicits Lively Discussion, Demonstrates Interest in Strategy, Oct 7, 2014
- UCSF Ebola Expert: Ebola is Not as Infectious as Influenza, TB & other airborne Diseases, Oct 3, 2014
- UCSF-CTSI & Medimmune Make Notable Academic-Pharma Alliance List, Sept 16, 2014
- UCSF-CTSI Catalyst Awards Spring 2014 Winners Announced, July 14, 2014
- Tapping UCSF Invention, Roche & Versant Dive into Myelin Repair, July 1, 2014
- CTSI Spotlight: Cathy Tralau-Stewart, June 25, 2014
- Students Get Insider Access with CSTO Catalyst Awards, Mar 25, 2014
- USCF Catalyst Awards Program Gains Traction, New Industry Partners, Feb 26, 2014
- MedImmune Collaboration Boosts Catalyst Awards, Feb 11, 2014
- MedImmune Announces Research Collaboration with UCSF, Feb 11, 2014
- Quest Diagnostics, UCSF to Develop Diagnostics Tools, Jan 8, 2014
- Top 10 Trends in Health Sciences in 2014, Dec 19, 2013
- Fast Forward with CTSI Catalyst Awardees, Nov 22, 2013
- LaunchPad: Stem Cell Therapies for Acute Lung Injury, Oct 15, 2013
- LaunchPad: Targeted Therapies for Pain, Inflammation, Oct 15, 2013
- LaunchPad: Drug-Delivery System for Chronic Eye Diseases, Oct 15, 2013
- LaunchPad: Novel Methods to Observe Disease, Oct 15, 2013
- The Rise of the Multi-Talented Adult Stem Cell, July 9, 2013
- Research Offers Hope for HIV+ Cancer Patients, Aug 24, 2012
- Industry-Academic Partners Give Promising UCSF Research Critical Boost, July 30, 2012
- Targeted Gene Therapy Offers Pain Relief-Catalyst Award Offers Crucial Next Step, May 11, 2012
- New Collaboration to Test Drug with Potential to Block Parkinson’s, Sept 21, 2011
- CTSI Research Award Helps Move Promise to Product at UCSF, Sept 19, 2011